~Howdy Y'all~

Am I the only one...surely not....please tell me I am not.
AH, come on! Really?! Well, then that's it then I guess.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Field Trip to Fall River State Park, Kansas


One of the most fun things about homeschool is the freedom to go anywhere at anytime, and see what you have been learning about in the classroom.  And, well, just get out of the classroom for that matter.  This past week we went with our friends the Fiscus's to the State Park to enjoy the sunshine and take a hike.  I have been noticing more and more that the kids don't want to be outside.  No matter if the activity we are engaged in it a blast or not, they want to 'go inside and watch a movie'.  So this trip was aimed at forcing them to be away from movies, toys, and Admiral's Buzz Lightyear PJ's.  They did really well.  All the kids had good attitudes, and enjoyed eachother, and they ended the day having had a great time.

Here are some pics to prove it:

Here are the kids playing on the drift wood when we first arrived.  It was very cold and windy.  We didn't know where to drive to park and play, so we headed in Kendi's new off road minivan to this location.  But we couldn't take the cold, and quickly retreated to a place with wind block.
My kids went on their first long distance hike of 1 1/2 mile and they did pretty good.  This trail was really nice and had a lot of variation in the scenery to keep everyone entertained.  Oh, and a stick in the water - the best!


Here are the kids having a discussion with Kendi about erosion and root control.

Here are the kids on the back side of the hike.  That little white spec wayyyy off in the distance is Jenna, who was brave enough to pave the road for us.

After we had lunch at the playground we drove across the dam to a section of park - which as best we could tell, was not part of the state park.  But it had this very interesting bridge that we had to walk across.  Jenna was trying to direct Adalie into the pose she wanted, but Addie kept going the same direction as Jenna, so I just took the picture.  Sorry Jenna - she gets it later on.

Here is the dam for Fall River.  I was very worried about the kids going over the side of this bridge.  Mainly because my kids have little fear, and don't obey.  LOL

If there is a river, then you must throw a rock into it.  This was a beautiful spot and I want to go back and camp down here.  The kids were being loud, throwing rocks and sticking their hands in the water.  Until Kendi noticed that just on the other side (upstream) men were fishing.  oops, sorry guys!

Strike a pose, there's nothing to it.

I love this picture.  It turned out really well.  I almost didn't get it because they started skipping, but that picture turned out well too.

See Jenna, she is coachable.  Girls are so cute, aren't they?  Notice the boys are doing something in the dirt.

Yep, another trail.  At this point, they started asking how much longer it would be, and I had to carry them the last little bit - and it was only 3/4 mile total.  But I still think their attitudes were good.  They were just tired.  Addie, what beautiful flowers.  I hope it is ok to pick flowers at a State Park.

Before we left, we had to let them play in the water.  I brought extra clothes for Addie and Admiral, but Jenna and Creed had to be extra careful not to get wet.  This picture was snapped just seconds before Addie went down.  The mud was so thick, it was difficult to move your feet once you were in it.


ah, mud.  Nice thick, goopy mud.  How can a kid resist?  Addie was one wet, muddy mess when we headed back to the car.  She had to sit in the car with wet undies - because although I packed dry clothes, I didn't pack dry undies.  And she still survived.

And then there is Admiral.  The boy who doesn't like to be dirty or play in the mud.  Yes, it looks like he has to pee here, but he doesn't, for some reason this was his pose.  He spent the entire time drawing in the dirt with a stick - way up from all that sticky mud.  So he got to ride home in the clothes he wore to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment