I still feel like my body is recovering from the schedule of my last 2 weeks. It wasn't that it was hard, it certainly wasn't hard labor, but it was such a change in my normal schedule. The remodel market has been really slow. In fact so slow, that I have only had piddly projects here and there that barely amount to a worthy invoice. Then during my quiet time one morning, I prayed about what my next steps need to be. That morning I called Yum Brands to see if any projects were in the pipeline. They were, but still a bit down the road. As soon as I got off the phone, I checked my email and there was an email about a job, yahoo! While I was calling them back, my home phone rang and it was another job. Praise the Lord. One of the jobs required me going out of state, so I booked the trip on the weekend so Aaron could watch the kids.
Then I find out I have jury duty. I thought that I would report on Monday, be sent home and that would be that. Aaron took a vacation day and watched the kids....but it didn't happen like that. So I called my mom to be sure she was getting on the plane Monday night (which we had already arranged as a possibilty) so she would be here Tuesday morning when I had to report back. Still thinking that I would be sent home. But no. I was selected as a juror in a criminal case. It was for a man named Daniel Calhoun who was 20 years old last May 16th when he and 3 other guys ages 15, 17 and 20 invaded a home for a robbery/burglary. When it was obvious that the husband didn't have any money, the crime escalated and the end result was that they stole property from both the victims and the house, they shot the husband in the knees, they raped and sodomized the wife many times, they held a gun to the baby's head, they had the children watch as they severly beat the dad and then shot him 3 times in the chest and once in the head. The husband lived but he lost an eye, and walks with great difficulty. Being on this trial for 8 days and delieberating for 12 hours was exhausting. Both mentally and physically.
I really thought that they would release me because I HAD to catch a flight on Friday at 4:30, but instead they let the trial out early on Friday so that I could make it. My mom ended up flying with me to NC so we met up at the airport there at 10 pm. I worked all weekend, and we flew back on Sunday together. Then Monday morning, I returned to trial. The attorneys rested on Tuesday am, and we began deliberations. We were done with the trial on Wednesday afternoon about 4 pm. I went home, did laundry, packed and made dinner because we were leaving Thursday for Texas for the Messianic Passover. Mom just rode with us. Have I mentioned I have the best mom in the world? I do. Thanks mom for dropping your life and coming up to pick up the pieces of mine. And she made fried catfish for Aaron - twice. : )
We had a great time down there, and returned on Sunday. I love Easter weekend because we have the Messianic Passover meal. It is - for me - the only holiday that is JUST about Christ, since we don't do bunnies, chicks, egg hunts, gifts, candy, etc... The meal is what Christ told us to do "In rememberance of Me" and I love the time to worship Him. But boy, oh boy, it is a long drive home.
When we did return home, Monday was the first day in 2 weeks where my schedule was back to normal. The kids noticed it, as their attitudes were gradually degrading with the changes. I am happy to be back to school with the kids, to get to clean my house, and to think once again about groceries and meals. And I never thought I would say that. So sometimes a change is a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment