~Howdy Y'all~

Am I the only one...surely not....please tell me I am not.
AH, come on! Really?! Well, then that's it then I guess.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Caution - dead animal ahead

I apologize first off to my non-meat eating friends, and those who are against killing for meat.  If that is you, you can skip this posting...or drop me nasty comments, I can take it.  : )

While in Thanksgiving this past week, I got to go deer hunting.  I have been a couple of times with my brother, but not seen any legal deer.  This time, we did.  And my favorite part of this story is that the son of the guy who pays for this lease was hunting a day or so before, and thought that he hit a deer.  Said it was a spike, and was sure he hit it.  Then a few minutes later, the same spike wandered back across where they were, and he shot it again.  But both times, it took off, and they weren't able to located it.  My brother knew this deer was travelling with a heard of doe and a 4 point buck.  So when we saw the heard (9 or so) he had me wait and sure enough here comes a 4 point (not legal) and this spike buck (genetically defective I guess).  So he had me take out this spike.  I was pretty excited for my first actual successful deer hunting outing, and he was super excited to get a taste of some deer meat.

Once it dropped, we went over to retrieve it, and it had collapsed in a ankle deep pool of water/mud.  So that was fun.  When we got close we noticed it had a hole in the bridge of the nose where it had been shot, and a previous wound in the back leg.  So the kid did in fact shoot this deer 2 times, it just didn't bother it too much.  The kid and his dad drove over with their truck to take the deer back to be cleaned at my brothers house, and that kid was so excited!!  He felt like he took that deer.  I was happy that we were able to wait on that one and get it.  Not only did it need to be taken out for genetic reasons, and had already been shot, but it was proof to the kid - that he did in fact hit that deer.  All in all, a pretty great afternoon.




My brother and I were laughing that since the deer was the last to jump the fence into the clearing, that he may have been having this conversation with the rest of the heard:

Spike: "I am telling you - someone is out to get me"
Doe: "You are crazy, you are a conspiracy theorist, NO ONE is targeting you"
4 point: "yea, it was a one time incident, just come with us"
Doe: "ok, I'll go first"  "look, nothing....I even have my daughter with me, come on out"
4 point: "watch me...see.  Don't be a chicken"
Spike:  "ok, fine, here I go.." 
and boom, poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment