~Howdy Y'all~

Am I the only one...surely not....please tell me I am not.
AH, come on! Really?! Well, then that's it then I guess.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Yep, we homeschool

I decided that it was about time I posted something about school.  For those of you who don't know, we homeschool the kids.  I get a lot of questions like, where do you do it, how do you do it, do the kids like it, etc.. and I keep saying that I will post about this event, which happens every day (except Friday is done on Saturday) and is a big part of our lives (even though it doesn't take much time) yet post after post, I don't mention it.  So here we go.  Today was a very exciting day because as Addie was scribbling on a piece of paper, I heard her sounding out the name Mamaw (which is what she calls my mom).  Then she brought me the paper, and she has spelled her first word.  Although, it appears she thought it might be Mamao, first, but changed it after.  LOL  I Love that she figured this out by herself.  Too cool.  Here she is proudly holding her paper.

Here are 2 pictures of our classroom, set up from today.  Looks like chaos, but it isn't..really.

Here are their papers from today for Addie and last week from Admiral.  I had to include his from one day last week from him, because apparently I didn't have him write his name on his paper today. 
 
Each day we do phonics, writing, math and memorization.  They memorize poems, Bible scripture, and songs.  In math they are working on number recognition for 11-20 and simple addition 1+1, 2+3 and simple subtraction.  A couple times a week, we do patterning and shape building.  And a couple times a week we do an art/science project.  This week will be our first of a couple Easter projects.  I think that roughly sums it up.  They love it.  When school starts, I ring a bell, and they come running, I ask if they had a good breakfast, and they say "yes Teacher" very cute.  They call me teacher all through class, which makes me laugh.  And they are very competitive with eachother.  I can't believe we are going to be starting 1st grade next year.  I can't wait.  Admiral holds his own very well, and in fact is bored with a lot of the math we do.

What a joy and a blessing to teach these children.  To God be the Glory.

1 comment:

  1. When I wrote this, we were planning on going straight to 1st grade rather than repeat a lot of what we did this year. But Addie is struggling in math and Admiral isn't grasping sentence structure like I had hoped, so we are going to proceed with Kindergarten next year. No need to rush. : )

    ReplyDelete