Ok, let's see. I got a call from my Papa on Wednesday morning-ish that my Great Aunt Evelyn (his Aunt) aka: my substitute Granny, passed away. We had notice that she wasn't doing well, but I guess I thought that she would be in and out of the nursing home/hospital a bit longer. I mailed her a letter on Monday in hopes that her daughter could read it to her, and pass time. Nothing deep, just chit chat about what we have been up to. I know my Granny loved those updates about Evelyn's grandkids. But it didn't get there in time, it was on the right day, but not the right hour. I know she knew how much we loved her, and will miss her though. And I am happy that she is no longer in pain.
I had been on the phone with my folks a few times during the day to find out when we could go see my Gramps who isn't doing well either. His wife initially said she would have to check with him to see if he wanted visitors. She came back and said that he thought maybe sometime next week would be ok. My mom called about 6pm and said that he had died. I was in shock at first, then angry that we didn't get to see him. We could have gone on Monday or Tuesday and still had a chance to say 'goodbye'. But maybe that is what he didn't want. I don't know. I am sad, quite sad. I barely knew him, but there was a shared DNA strand, and apparently that is stronger than we realize.
So we are heading to Texas this President's Day weekend. We will go to Palestine, TX first for Evelyn's funeral on Saturday, and then on to Wichita Falls for Clay's funeral on Sunday. Why does it take funerals and weddings to see family? How come no other events are ever worth it? Is it just that we figure there will be more Christmas' or birthdays? Well, there might not be. Nothing is worth holding a grudge over, nothing is worth missing, and everyday is special. So hug your loved ones tonight, tell them you love them. When they are gone, nothing they have ever done wrong will matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment