My Gramps and Granny divorced many, many years ago. And I was VERY close to her, but never got the chance to become close to him. My Papa talks to him regularly, and I have recently began an email correspondence with him, but that is about it. When my Granny died, I took some letters he wrote her when they were first married, and in the military, from her house. I read through them like a book I couldn't put down. I learned more about him from those than any other event. He was funny, and sensitive, and I saw why she fell in love with him - and stayed so until her death. Every year for Christmas he (and his long time wife Julia) send a sausage cheese box to Aaron and I - and since the kids births, he has sent them gifts too. I know it is Julia, and I appreciate her efforts to connect. This Christmas they sent the kids Ice Age Dinosaurs (Admiral's favorite movie) which we didn't own. They were super excited, and when I called to thank them, she couldn't put Gramps on the phone because he was so hoarse and he 'wasn't doing well'. She expressed that she hoped we could make it down soon, and I told her I would talk to my Papa and we would come. I got wrapped up in my own life, and although I thought about it a couple of times, I kept forgetting to call and tell him.
Julia called my folks tonight and let them know that last Thursday they found a large tumor behind his vocal box, and he hasn't been able to eat due to the swelling of the throat. He is rapidly losing weight and is hooked to a feeding tube. As I understand it, they are sending him home, or to hospice, not sure which, to be cared for until the end. We are trying to plan a trip, tomorrow, tuesday, or wednesday, not sure yet. Aaron said he will take off to watch the kids (so sweet). It is strange, I have a lump in my throat that doesn't seem to want to go away. Yet I barely know this man. I don't even know how many times I have seen him because the bulk would have been my childhood. He came to my wedding, and he came to a party we threw for my dad's 50th birthday party, and he came to help clear out my Granny's house. But other than those 3 times, I can't recall and adult encounter. Yet, I feel sad. I feel sad that I didn't know him. I feel sad that my kids didn't/wont know him.
I did have a chance to talk to him about his relationship with our Lord and Saviour, and he was confident that he understood the sacrifice made by Christ, and the grace that is extended to us all. He has accepted Christ as God's son, and said he knows he is going to heaven. I am confident in that also then. What more could I hear from him? My comfort, I guess, is that I will see him again. I don't know how we will relate to eachother in heaven, will we know eachother, will we love eachother or will we all be family and there wont be any distinction? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment